Hopwas Church Fete, 2nd July 2016

005

What a quintessentially English scene!  The annual church fete at St. Chad’s Church, Hopwas on 2nd July 2016.  Stalls, entertainment by a dance troupe and the Tamworth Wind Band.

008This chocolate-box, church, lauded by Pevsner, nestles on Hopwas Hill in the shadow of Hopwas Hayes Wood.  It was designed in 1879 by the celebrated architect John Douglas of Chester, and is a Grade II listed building.  It is a daughter church of the Parish of Tamworth.  The beautiful red brick and half-timbered building, with its distinctive octagonal spire, is a great architectural asset to Tamworth and District.

Inside the welcoming interior may be found two memorial plaques to the dead of 007both world wars.  Exploring the churchyard, one will find various interesting graves, including that of the reforming and philanthropic Vicar of Tamworth, and noted Egyptologist, Reverend William MacGregor, who was one-time Curate at Hopwas and did much to get the new church built, replacing St. John’s in the centre of the village.  His plot lies forward of the village war memorial at the east end of the church.

Also to be seen is the grave of Reverend Ernest Henry Rogers who was Vicar of Tamworth (1922-36), and his wife, with a memorial vase to their son who was killed in action in 1942.

006Our correspondent tells us that an excellent new publication, called “Hopwas Papers” was on sale at the fete, and is a ‘must-have’ item for the area’s local historians.

 

 

 

(Blog Post and Photos: D. Biggs)

Advertisements